Sunday, May 6, 2012

Socks on, Shoes off

So after today's workout in the morning, I decided to have a nice Spa Pedicure, a manicure, do a little shopping and relax... Which I did, until around 3pm when my brother stopped by my place after running the Broadstreet Marathon, and asked if I wanted to run the last 4 miles back to his house. And by the way, he had also ran TO Broadstreet and ran back.. So he was running close to 40 miles by then. So I was like, "I just did Crossfit this morning, but what the hell..You just ran to the city, ran a marathon, and ran back, so yeah, sure!". I put on my work out clothes and went. I was surprised how long I was able to run without stopping. We would run until my heart rate went over 180 then we would walk until it went below 160. We ran a total of 3 miles and walked about 1 mile. Toward the end, my ankles and achilles tendons were hurting so bad. I was losing strenght in my legs, they felt heavy. He told me to take my sneakers off. So before I ran the last mile, I took them off and only ran with my socks on. I couldn't believe the difference it made. Suddenly I was running faster, my body was lighter and my feet didn't hurt so much. I actually ran the last mile without stopping. The only thing that felt uncomfortable was the bottom of my feet, the cushion right before the toes.My brother is a barefoot runner and he told me it takes a while for the feet to get used to the pavement. But I didn't care about that small pain. That was nothing compared to the relief I felt by taking my shoes off.
So in a little less than 1 hour, we ran/walked 4 miles. My legs were hurting so bad afterwards, but it felt great. I definitely notice the difference from when I first started running.
I haven't actually ran until I'm not able anymore, so I'm curious to see how long I can run without stopping. Maybe sometimes this week I will have to try it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you began to exercise Crossfit and that you got the clothes for it.
    crossfit socks

    ReplyDelete